Good News and Bad News

I just came back from seeing the orthopedist, and I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I didn't do this to myself by knitting, spinning, quilting or posting! In fact, I didn't do it to myself at all...unless I chose my parents.
The problem is osteoarthritis, plain, simple and...genetic. What a relief! I've spent the last two weeks limiting my knitting and spinning, because I thought I had been overdoing it. The bad news is, it will continue to get worse until I have surgery.
Well, no, that's not the bad news. The bad news is that after surgery, it may be weeks before I can knit again. The really bad news is, both thumbs need to be done, and I can't do them both at once. As my Dr. said, "Who would wipe your butt?" The left one was worse, so I have scheduled that one already. It will be done April 24th. She will remove a bone and sort of put everything back again. Toward the end of the summer, I can have the right one done. That will be a little more complicated, because I'm mostly right-handed. After recovering from the surgery, I should be able to do anything I did before, but without pain, which is really good news.
While I've been waiting to get in to see the orthopedist, I've been doing a lot of reading. Here's what I've been doing besides reading:

VolunteerDog

Sunny and I are registered as an animal therapy team. We have been visiting a nursing home in Salt Lake City. We meet people in the dining room. Sunny "visits" with each person and gets petted, or she sits in their laps. She also gives wet kisses. She shows them her tricks. She can sit up and dance, along with some rather ordinary "tricks." Some people are in wheelchairs and some come in with walkers or using a cane. After we visit for a while in the dining room, Sunny and I go to visit people who want to see her, but can't get out of bed. We have also been invited to visit with some children who are afraid of dogs and have a lot of fear in their lives.

What's on my needles? Same as last time. What's on my wheel is new, though!

Spinning2

Those of us in my spinning class are spinning the roving we dyed last time, and next week we are going to learn Navajo plying. That will be our last class. I'm still waiting for my yarn for the CLC KAL and my book for the Sock-Innovations KAL. Now that I've been given the green light to knit up until they wheel me in to chop up my left thumb, that's exactly what I'm going to do. And that's the really good news.

Comments