Missing Spinning

As you read this, I am on the road, hopefully knitting in the back seat with Sunny, or enjoying the outdoors with the whole family. IF I didn't take my spinning wheel (my lovely, adorable, efficient and user-friendly Kromski Sonata), I am missing spinning very much. My thoughts drift back to my last spinning meeting at Linda's:



As you can see, it was a nice day. Sunny and pleasantly warm. Lynda is spinning yummy merino wool on her Majacraft wheel. (I don't know the name of the model.) Here's another view:



This was the day Linda (shown in the next photo on the right, not to be confused with Lynda, left) decided to try everyone's wheels. She has a Louet, a very basic model, and it has been difficult for her to spin with. It has very few adjustments you can make, but leaves all adjustments up to the spinner to accommodate for the kind of fiber and the type of yarn desired. She's looking for a new wheel, either a different model Louet or a different brand, so she's getting ideas from all her spinning buddies.



Linda is processing the fiber from her alpacas. You probably saw the shearing a few weeks back (see my blog "Shear Terror").
My lovely Sonata can be seen on the far left, sporting its new WooLee Winder, which has made life so much simpler for me. I'm almost done with my Coopworth hand-dyed roving. I'm thinking of making the Landscape Shawl with it, but I may change my mind. After I finish with it, I want to start on the fiber I dyed using Kool Aid and food coloring. I think it would make a nice sweater, using white and natural brown to compliment the colors from the dying process: dusty blue, burnt orange and taupe. All of it is Corriedale, and it's all in batts except for the natural brown. As much as I love vacations, if I can't take my wheel, I will actually be looking forward to coming home, so I can spin. I also plan on (shhhh!) making some hand-spun yarn for some dear friends for Christmas.
What's on my needles? Well, definitely, the Kristi sock! At the time I was writing this, I had about an inch to go before the toe shaping on the first sock. I will CO for the second right away, because this sock is so much fun. I'm also taking my Cable Net sock started last year, although it takes a lot of concentration, and I may not be able to get much done, with all the distractions of travel. My Sipalu Bag just needs the top border, and my current purse is driving me nuts! (It takes two hands to close.) I definitely will be working on it on the trip. I also have the Grazing Sheep Bag to CO and maybe finish, if I get rolling (other than rolling in the truck). Finally, I plan on casting on for the shell to go with my CLC. I wound the lovely Shimmer yarn in Sunkissed yesterday, so it's all ready to go. It will be simple, almost mindless knitting in the round up to the armholes, with a little bit of ribbing in the middle of the front. Easy to work on when something distracting is going on. I packed some new sock yarn, just in case I'm not in the mood for one of these projects. No quilting this trip. My right thumb hurts when I quilt, so it isn't worth taking the bed-size quilt, which is my current quilting project. I work on it from time to time, but can't do it for more than an hour.
Where am I going, you ask? First, we're going up to Montana for a few days with DH's brother and our SIL, who also have a trailer. Then we head eastward, through South Dakota, with the goal of reaching Onalaska, Wisconsin, where DD lives. After a visit there, we'll move on to Mishawaka, Indiana, to visit DS the elder. (DS the younger lives in Portland.) We hope to see some sights along the way, do some hiking and have fun with the dogs.
I'll be taking lots of photos, of course! I hope to be able to log on from DD's or DS's homes, but we'll see. Don't worry about me if you don't hear from me for several weeks, though. All of you will be in my thoughts. Happy knitting! --Peggy

Comments