Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Gnomes and Faries!

Here's my current now-active project (once a UFO), the Oregon Socks:



My little friend has been with me for years, and he wanted to help me display my Oregon socks. He became faded a few years ago, so I used paint to touch him up. You can see how grateful he is! These socks are based on Ariel Barton's Cable net socks from Knitty, which you can view here.

I'm using Ariel's cable pattern, except for two things: 1) My treatment of the edge of the design on the instep--which is different because of a mistake I made, which turned out to be pretty, too, so I continued it. Here's what it looks like:



And 2) The heel, which I did in "Eye of Partridge" pattern instead of continuing the cable net down the heel flap. I thought the "Eye of Partridge" would hold up better, being denser. This is how you do it--
Row 1 (right side): *Sl 1, K 1* repeat across ending K 1.
Row 2 and even rows: Sl 1, purl across
Row 3: Sl 2, *K1, Sl 1* repeat across, ending with K2.
What happens is, every RS row, you will have K1 above where you had Sl1 on the previous RS row, and vice versa.

Here's what it looks like on my Oregon sock:



The yarn is KP's Gloss in Parsley, which is yummy to work with. I love the silky feel in my hands while I'm knitting, as well as the sheen to the finished sock. It was a little difficult to get back into this UFO, which I started during our trip to Oregon last summer. Part of the reason I put it down was the chart. I'm sure the chart was designed properly and easy enough to read...if you printed it in color with a really new ink cartridge! I printed it in B&W using an old ink cartridge, silly me! It was so light that I couldn't see the lines that defined the sts. On top of that, my inadvertent change to the pattern didn't show up on the chart, leaving me puzzling about what I needed to do to keep MY pattern going. When I picked it up again the end of last week, I re-wrote the chart on graph paper, with the changes I had made, in good, dark pencil, which has helped a lot. Then I hit another snag when I got to sock #2. This time, my problem was the CO. I had decided to try the cable CO, and to work the CO in K1P1 rib, as was suggested by some instructions I downloaded from somebody-or-other's website. I had a little trouble, but my new book Knit Fix by Lisa Kartus came to my rescue with really good instructions. The hard part was realizing that I had to move the yarn underneath my work instead of on top to get it from back to front for a P st or front to back for a K. It was so long since I started the first sock, I couldn't remember exactly what I did, and I really wanted the two socks to be close to the same, at least. Now I can't wait to wear these socks, and am amazed at how close I am to being finished. I had the first sock almost done when I dropped it. I can't believe I ever put it down! I'm wearing my Kristi socks, and they are encouraging me to finish the Oregon socks!

In my "real" life, it has been a busy week. We had tons of laundry after our trip, some of which had to be done before we could take the 5th wheel back to it's storage space. We took time for a hike on Saturday to take the pups to the Fairy Tree in Toll Canyon, close to Park City. The Fairy Tree is an old, almost-dead tree that attracts beads, little toys, notes, medals and other items left by visitors. We are not allowed to take anything, but we can leave something. Every once in a while, the owner of the property comes and cleans it out. Within a week, it's all decorated again! We saw some new items since our last trip to the Fairy Tree. Someone had left the program from a loved one's funeral, which was held in June. Here's what the Fairy Tree looks like:



And here it is with my family posing in front of it:



Rocky thinks his profile is better, but Sunny wants you to see her beautiful eyes. The tree looks different in the winter, with just a little bit of it sticking out above the snow. It's a good snowshoe destination. We spent a lot of time throwing a tennis ball as we hiked, and sometimes we threw a stick. We came home and crashed afterwards. The dogs were tired, too.

What's on my needles: The Oregon sock, the second one, of course. I'm still trying to decide on a strap or straps for my Sipalu Bag. I'm thinking I want to do something a little different. I have the lining and some interfacing all ready to go. My Nonna's Garden shawl is calling to me...and then I would like to finish the sleeveless cardi for DH for Christmas if I can. I need to work on the shell for my CLC. I was in visiting my orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and she's encouraging me to get my second thumb done sooner rather than later, so I'll be completely recovered for our daughter's wedding. And then there's the wedding quilt. I bought the fabrics, but I need to clean up my workroom before I can start cutting. Here are my fabrics:



The dark color looks greenish, but it is really a dark blue, not quite navy. I'm going to use the John Flynn method, where you sew straight strips together and then take a little dart in each seam. I would like to at least get the quilt pieced before I have my next surgery. Then at least I can show it to them, even if it takes me until after the wedding to quilt it! Happy knitting/quilting, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment