Spinning, Spiders and Other Things...

I'm making progress on DH's Fair Isle sleeveless cardi! My needles are smoking...well sort of. I just have to finish the current motif, and I'll be able to start the neck and armholes. Here's what it looks like:



The steek will go where the funny vertical stripes are. I am not afraid of steeks anymore after my Classic Lines Cardigan. I'm hoping to finish in time for my second (and final!) thumb surgery. If not, he'll get the sweater in whatever state it's in with an I.O.U. for the work to finish it.





Other Christmas presents include yarn for some of my special non-spinning knitting friends. Here's the alpaca (from the females named Penny and Willow) finished and ready to go. It's more or less sport weight yarn, about eight ounces.











One of my quilting groups met today. Ginny is working on a quilt to go with her mother's oriental carpets and artwork. Here's a photo of the quilted portion of one of her pillow shams. (I taught her to quilt! I'm so excited about her progress.)














Saturday we went on a hike in a place called Round Valley, which is part of Park City. In fact, you can see some of the ski runs in the background. The trails in Round Valley are not as steep as most of those in our area, so I was able to do most of the six-mile hike before my foot started to hurt. Rocky was good, and stayed with the group the whole time. Here's a photo of the people I hiked with:







Sunny was off cavorting while I took the photo, but Rocky is in the photo. He's really hard to see, though, being black. He's next to DH's right knee. (DH is the cute old guy, kneeling.) Rocky is right next to Eddy, the white shaggy dog. See if you can see where he is. Here's a close up:



While sitting in the car waiting for the hike, though, I noticed a spider. I wish I could have gotten a photo of her. I watched as she spun her fiber. (She uses long-draw, BTW.) When she was down about 6" above my seat, she started winding her yarn (onto her spindle? I couldn't see one, but it had to be going somewhere) and climbing back up the yarn (or singles--do spider's ply?) and then started all over again. It was fascinating.

What's on my needles? Same. The FI cardi.
What's on my iPod: Still Lorna Doone.

Happy knitting/spinning/quilting! --Peggy

Comments