Back to Real Life!

My medal for "Fleece to FO Long Track" is official, so time to get back to real life. My fiber studio yesterday morning looked like this--


I organized my yarn stash. Here's what the sock and fingering section looks like:



I like to use those plastic boxes that lettuce and spring greens come in to keep the balls of yarn in check. If you're thinking, "That doesn't look like much," keep in mind that this is just a small part. I have two giant bins of worsted, DK and sport, AND a bunch of yarn organized by project, just stacked up on my counter, AND a bunch of projects in progress or hibernating. Not counting my spinning fiber stash. (Completely out of control, in fact, it reminds me of a scary movie, as it keeps trying to creep out into the hallway and up the stairs.) My quilting fabric stash is located in the two cabinets to the right of my sock and fingering stash. Nothing puny about it, either.

I worked on it most of the morning so I would have some room to start an applique block for baby Daphne's quilt. Here are the fabrics for the project.



The patterned fabric in the middle is Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny, for backing. The book, Hop to It! is providing the pattern for the center of the quilt. The fabrics to the left and right are from my fabric stash (yes, I have more than one stash), some from Connecting Threads, where I get a lot of my fabric. The "fat quarters" in the center of the photo came from Elaine's Quilt Block in Salt Lake City. I like to take my focus fabric to the store and find just the right fabrics to go with it. Here's a closeup so you can see what I picked.



Now I'm working on my applique block...



(This is from the book, not my actual block, which I've only just begun using the fabrics in the earlier photos.) I was in a hurry to get it ready to work on, because this morning I had a meeting of one of my two quilting groups. I wanted them to see that I still quilt. (I've been knitting baby things like crazy, and then the Ravelympics, etc. Well, you get the picture.) Most of the people in my quilting groups also knit. In fact, Kay (pictured below) hasn't made a quilt yet.



I took this photo to show you the bag Kay made from an old sweater from a thrift shop, which she felted and sewed into a bag. She used part of one sleeve and the neck ribbing to make the pocket. She carries her knitting and crochet projects in the bag. It's big enough for an entire afghan. (Or even a quilting project, which she may do someday.)


What's on my iPod: Lorna Doone (Still. I want to see how it turns out!)

What's on my MP3 player: Today's podcast! I downloaded it this morning and haven't had a chance to listen yet!

What's on my needles: Actively, my second Oregon Sock. Then I'll get back to baby knitting.

What's on my wheel: My wheel is empty, but I will probably spin us the rest of the baby alpaca or...?

What's on my drop spindle: Still the Ashford merino and silk in "mulberry."

Happy knitting, spinning and quilting, everyone! --P

Comments